Chemical, Alcohol, Food, Cleaning products, plants.
A poison is any substance taken in sufficient quantity that can cause temporary or permanent damage to the body.
Can you name 3 poisons?
If someone swallowed a poison shoud you make them sick?
NEVER! If the poison burnt on the way down it can burn on the way up affecting the airway.
Can you name 2 ways poisons can enter the body?
Ingested, Instilled, Injected
Poisons can enter the body in the following ways:
- Absorbed by the skin
- Splashed into the eye.
- Difficulty breathing,
- Localised pain
- Possible anaphylactic reaction
- Signs & symptoms of shock
- Identify the poison (do not induce vomiting if swallowed)
- Call 999/112 for am ambulance and follow their advice
- Wash the area, if absorbed chemicals, for at least 20 minutes
- Encourage sips of water if swallowed ( only sips)
- Reassure, keep them still and monitor them
- Be prepared to resuscitate ( Using a Face shield if you have one)