A minimum of 10 minutes!!
Burns can be painful and can happen at any time. The sun, hot drinks, radiators and chemicals are only a few ways you can burn your skin.
How long do you cool a non chemical burn down for?
Name 5 different causes of burns
Chemical, Ice, Dry, Electrical, Radiation, Scald (C.I.D.E.R.S)
How long do you cool a chemical burn down for?
A minimum of 20 Minutes!
Types of Burn:
Friction and hot surfaces
Steam and hot liquids
Frozen metal objects
You can recognise a burn by the skin being:
- Red, sore and swollen (Superficial)
- Raw and Blister (Partial)
- Charred, Pale and Waxy (Full Thickness)
- Seek medical help if in doubt. All burns to child and baby = 999/112!
- Cool the burn immediately
- Minimum 10 minutes (dry and wet burns)
- Minimum 20 minutes (chemical burns)
- Dress the burn with a sterile dressing
Cling film is one of the best dressings!
This guidance is great but no substitute for a practical First Aid course.
We teach Burns training in more detail on the following courses.